So, I made a program to do that! You store a list of students for a given class period in what I called the
roster (just a dictionary of students). Each
Student object keeps track of the number of times it has been selected and its probability of being selected in the next round, as well as whether or not the student is absent.1 It took me a little more than a week to finish, as I was still muddling through Python as I went, and at the end, I had a working final product! A rough one, but a working one! And then I went off on my merry way, doing more and varied projects and slowly building up my Python chops, getting code review, etc. Somewhere along the way, so gradually I didn’t even realize it, I began to feel competent, like with enough time to think and maybe a little Googling, I could Python my way out of most problems that were thrown at me. And so today, back at Hacker School for Alumni Thursday and itching to write some code (because I’ve been up to my neck in web work for the past few weeks), I opted for a blast from the past, and dived into my very first Python project to poke around, refactor, clean up, and chronicle what I found and what I had learned in the past four months. Here are some findings, accomplishments, and reflections.